Winners announced on January 4!
We selected a winner. Now we’re preparing the announcement and justification. Check back later today for the announcement.
Win a free analysis and review of your manuscripts from the editors who help writers publish great books. We believe that writers are important, and this is a way to help them write books that others will want to read and buy. This contest is open to all writers who have written or are writing book-length manuscripts, fiction and nonfiction, and are preparing for publication.
What winners receive:
Two writers will receive, at no cost, Precise Edit’s manuscript and review service. We will read the book critically, prepare detailed recommendations, and offer advice for improvements.
Who can enter:
Writers with fiction or nonfiction manuscripts and are either seeking publication through traditional or non-traditional means. The final word count of the manuscript must be at least 50,000 words. The manuscript does NOT have to be complete to enter. However, if you win, you will need to finish the manuscript before we can provide the review and analysis service.
What others have said about this service:
Great suggestions! As I reread this piece with your comments in mind, the things you brought up stood right out. These are the kinds of reviews that really help me improve my work. (J. Hoffman, author of WoodWyrm Academy)
Thank you. This was exactly the kind of input I was looking for. (Ashira, author of The Witches’ Child)
I really appreciated the professional analysis you did on my novel for its second edition. Not only did you understand its complexity, but you managed to suggest changes that would simplify matters for the readers while not sacrificing the essence of the novel’s intertwining themes. (J. Hart, author of Election Dance)
How to enter this contest:
In the comment field for this post, answer the following questions:
- What is the book about? (3-8 sentences)
- Fiction: What is the central conflict? (1-2 sentences); Nonfiction: What is the central theme or purpose? (1-2 sentences)
- Who is the target audience for the book? (1 sentence)
- Why will this audience read your book? (1-3 sentences)
You may enter through December 31, 2009. Make sure to use a valid e-mail address when posting your submission. We will send you a unique entry number to identify you later in case you win. Your entry will be disqualified if you do not adhere to the above entry requirements. Questions? E-mail Precise Edit owner and chief editor David Bowman: email@example.com.
How winners will be chosen:
Think of your entry as a publisher query letter. We will evaluate each component of the submission and select the two that in our subjective opinion have appeal, demonstrate understanding of the target market, and have a clearly defined, engaging, and substantial conflict or purpose.
We will make and publish our choices on January 4, 2010, and we will e-mail the authors of winning entries to arrange for their free service.
What non-winning participants receive:
If you don’t win the free Manuscript Review and Analysis, but you decide you want the service, you can get it at a 20% discount just for participating. Entering this contest in no way obligates you to receive any services or engage in any contractual or service agreement with Precise Edit. (The normal price for Manuscript Review and Analysis is $1.50 per page. Non-winning participants who wish to contract for this service may receive it for $1.20 per page. For example: 200 page book x $1.50 = $300; 200 page book x $1.20 = $240.
The not-so-small print:
- The author maintains all rights to and ownership of the manuscript he or she delivers to Precise Edit for services, either as a winning entry, or as a manuscript for paid services. Please see the Precise Edit privacy notice posted on the Precise Edit website: http://preciseedit.com/Info/Privacyagreement/tabid/104/Default.aspx
- We will not accept manuscripts that promote racism, hate crimes, or violence. These elements may be included in the book, but the book should not espouse them. Erotica is acceptable; pornography is not. All other fiction and non-fiction manuscripts are acceptable. We will not accept poetry.
- This contest is not open to clients of Precise Edit, Precise Edit staff members or freelancers, or friends and family members of Precise Edit staff members.
- In the event that this contest receives fewer than 20 entries, we may choose, at our discretion, to select only one winning entry.
- We will accept no entries for this contest by any means other than the process described above.
- Please note that all entries will be public inasmuch as they are made through the public comments of a public weblog. You accept all risk and liability that may arise out of your participation.
- If you have difficulty making your contest submission, please contact us for assistance.
We look forward to receiving your contest submission. Best wishes to all who participate.